******Spoiler Alert********
In the book The House of Hades by Rick Riordan, we follow Percy and his friends as they go on their adventure to save Olympus. Along the way we’re shown multiple perspectives from each of the six main characters. However, one of Percy’s friends, Nico di Angelo, although always present throughout the book, never has his perspective expressed. This makes him come across as mysterious to the reader, but limits our understanding of him as opposed to the rest of the characters.
While all of Percy’s friends are all part of a prophecy to be the seven demigods who are supposed to save the world, Nico is not included. In the first Percy Jackson series, Nico and his sister are said to have been born in around the early 1930s in Venice Italy, but he and his sister were brainwashed and brought to a hotel after their mother was killed in an accident where Zeus trying to kill them. They remained in the hotel for about 70 years without aging or noticing the time pass by. Later in the same book, Nico’s sister dies within Percy’s trust. After she dies, Nico starts to lose his trust for all humans and buries himself into darkness by spending time in the shadows and hanging out with the dead more than the living. When Percy “let” his sister die and started a relationship with one of their friends, Nico starts to grow hatred towards him. From looking at Nico’s past, the reader can tell why as a character he’s always gloomy and in a way scary to the other demigods. We only learn about Nico’s traumatic past when it is forced out of him in this book – up until then, Riordan does not give us any insight. Until this book, I didn’t really care about his character and found him creepy. Now, I am curious whether there is more to his personality than what meets the eye. This is what including his perspective would help do.
Clearly, Nico has an interesting back story, along with a mysterious personality, which hooks the reader to want to know more about him. Before The House of Hades came out, lots of fans requested that Riordan put Nico as one of the character’s perspectives. However, at the time I disagreed because I thought that the book was fine the way it was and nothing seemed too amazing about Nico that I would want him to be a narrator. When we read The House of Hades, we discover that Nico used to have a crush on Percy, which in a way helps explain why Nico is the way he is. I’m not quite sure why Rick created this character, but after reading The House of Hades, the reader learns more about Nico than what is told in the past few books, since the beginning of the series. I wasn’t really interested in his character before when I read the other books in the past, but when I found out more about him in this book; it helped me understand why others suggested that Nico become a narrator. At the end of the book, the group is forced into a situation where they will have to begin including Nico’s perspective. I think this will be very interesting because he is so mysterious to the readers up until this point. Adding his perspective will help us gain a better understanding of his true personality, which hasn’t been very clear.
No comments:
Post a Comment