Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ruby the Copycat by Peggy Rathmann


            My favorite picture book from growing up is called, “Ruby the Copycat” by Peggy Rathmann. In the book, the new girl in Miss Hart’s class, Ruby, keeps copying everything her classmate Angela does.  At first they get along because of their similarities, until it drives Angela crazy, realizing Ruby was actually just copying everything about her. When I reread the book today, I notice how relatable the story is.  Growing up, I always noticed many of my classmates would copy one another’s personalities; no one would act as themselves. One person would start a trend, and then everybody copies them. In elementary school, if you heard a lot of people at school played a certain online game or watched certain TV shows, you would start to watch them too, so that you could try to fit in with them. When my mom first read this book to me, I was so young that I don’t even remember old I was (probably in kindergarten). I didn't understand what the book was about; what stood out the most was the cover, illustrated with the two girls writing on the chalkboard.  Both are wearing purple flowered sweaters and red bows, except Ruby’s sweater has drawn flowers pinned on to it. It only started to make sense when I got older, once I started witnessing it myself. Even I felt pressured into liking the same things my friends did. Today, I look back at this book and realize how unique the book is to bring up this topic of individuality.
            Many children growing up have trouble finding who they are, so they copy one another’s actions in the meantime. The book helps me remember how important it is to be comfortable just being myself. Whenever I feel peer pressure to fit in with everyone else, it’s okay to be different, and just be who I really am. In the text, Miss Hart tells Ruby, “You don’t need to copy everything Angela does. You can be anything you want to be, but be Ruby first. I like Ruby.” Everyone has their own good qualities that they should remember to appreciate. We don’t need to look to someone else to find that. The book’s message reminds me of another quote I've heard, “You were born an original.  Don’t die a copy”- John Mason. Even though it’s a picture book, “Ruby the Copycat” really can teach people of all ages.

2 comments:

  1. i remember reading this book in kindergarten, so i can really relate your experience. i also like the way that you related the events in the book to the way kids act in elementary school, and even now! i also liked when you admitted to having trouble not conforming to others way of thinking. i can really tell that this book was very significant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great job! I also read this book when I was younger and i loved the way you tied this book to lessons you learned from it. I agree with you, it is often hard to find your own voice and personality in the middle of so many people trying to be perfect, (often that mean, a lot of them the same). Your opinions have changed drastically since you were little, and you've really shown how much you've grown. I really like how you took your own interpretation on the lesson of the book, such a great response!

    ReplyDelete