Saturday, October 26, 2013

Monday Muses Post

My childhood
I hear
The echoing voice
Of my father telling me
Two words:
“Be Good”
I taste the lingering flavor
Of my mom’s saucy, homemade spaghetti,
And cheesy Costco lasagna
I remember the beautiful wrapping paper,
Concealing past presents,
And birthday cards
I can still see
The picture of the beautiful,
Unique,
Enormous
Bright,
And sunny Paris I once saw
Years ago
I worry of the day,
You betray me
I sometimes wonder,
“What would the world be like without me?”
I wish I had never said “no”,
When you invited me to see that movie
I am courageous,
Carefree,
And believe.
I want to be happy,
To have a good life.
I am
a survivor of bullying.
A 5’1” gymnast,
Stares in the mirror.
Homemade chocolate chip cookies,
Straight from Mrs. Field’s Cookbook.
The strong smell
Of Tide, laundry detergent.
The quiet slope of
5th Street, covered with trees,
And brownstones.
The love and chaos
Within my house
The four voices of the Beatles,
Singing “Misery”
Or the TV playing Elton John singing
“Crocodile Rock” on the Muppets
Two places called “home”
Totally different
Only a mile apart
Voices cry
From all directions,
Calling:
“Wash the dishes!”
“Mom!”
“Dinner!”
Every day,
On schedule.
From staying up past 10:00
Watching movies on the weekend,
To staying up to finish the homework,
That was supposed to be done
Hours ago.
Disney World,
“The happiest place on Earth”
My dream job
 San Francisco, California
And the school,
Down my block.
Waiting,
Like it’s my destiny.
The brown skin,
Of my first and only babysitter
The time I got spanked,
The tears that streamed
Down my face,
Ever since
I came home,
I knew,
Life
Will never
Be the same.
Playing my family Wii, GameCube, DDR mats, Club Penguin,
And karaoke on the PlayStation.
The morning I came back, to give you that birthday card,
And the day I started off some place new,
A mile away from you.
Memories of my life, since the day I was born,
Stored in a cabinet,
Against the wall in the living room,
Stuck in a cramped space,
Every now and then being grabbed,
Then shoved back in,
Just like life,
Going in and out of the happy circle.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!
    that's all i have to say, wow.
    The story thing goes off in so many directions. I think it's really cool how youcould tell your whole childhood in one poem/story. You added a lot of adjectives that made it easier to picture your life flashing before your eyes. it is a really cool, long, and full of memory poem. It brings me right back down memory lane. Overall, just a WOWing job!!!!

    ReplyDelete