Throughout this month, I’ve been
amazed as I read “All These Things I’ve Done” by Gabrielle Zevin. The story
takes place in New York City in the year 2083. Government laws have changed and
chocolate is illegal. The story focuses on the members of the Balanchine Chocolate
Company and is described by Anya, the company head’s daughter. The conflict is introduced
when Anya is given poisoned chocolates from her cousin, Jakov, or Jacks,
Pirozhki. Soon after, her ex-boyfriend comes by begging for chocolate. Without
knowing it was poisoned, Anya gives him some chocolate. After eating the
chocolates, the ex-boyfriend ends up in the hospital blaming Anya for poisoning
him. Throughout the book, this conflict remains unsolved. In the end, Jacks
confesses he poisoned the chocolates, and is sent to jail. As I read, I kept an
eye on Jacks. When we first meet him,
Anya introduces him as the awful cousin who tried to touch her as a little
girl. So why did I choose to focus on an
antagonist? Why didn’t I choose Anya? As the book progresses, we learn more
about Jacks’ personality and struggles. Although he is the “villain”, there’s
more to him to be understood.
From what we know about him, Jacks
works a small position for the family business, but wants to do more. This is
what motivates him to attempt to poison the head’s immediate family, hoping to
advance his role in the business. Even
though his actions were clearly wrong, he just wanted to do something to raise
his job, which is a relatable desire. In the text, he explains he’s unhappy
with his current position, saying, “You probably know this without my having to
say, but I’m low in the organization. No one tells me about anything.”(p.159) this
shows how he isn’t pleased with his role in the business, by not feeling included
or valued. All he really wants is to get more respect and attention, but he
doesn’t know how to in a more positive way.
Another example of Jacks’ ongoing
conflict is his relationship with his brother Mickey. The two of them are
arguing about Anya being their cousin and being a part of the family. Mickey refers
to Anya as “my cousin” leaving Jacks to feel like an outcast. This interaction
show that Jacks doesn’t feel accepted as an equal by his own family. Mickey even
tells him to stop embarrassing himself.
Although Jacks is the cause of the
conflict, I think people should take a closer look at the motivation behind his
actions. I think he seems to be a misguided character. He not necessarily a
monster. I hope after reading this,
readers will look at characters at a different angle and try to understand
their motives, even if we don’t agree with them.
i have never read this but I should.This sounds very interesting. I think that the character changed a lot. Jacks personality is interesting.
ReplyDeletei have never read this book before but it sounds really interesting. I like the way you focused on the antagonist, most people usually focus on the protagonist. i also like how you put questions in the post. I also like your quote. Overall, i like it, Great job!
ReplyDeleteI like how descriptive you were when writing this response and I like how you focused on an antagonist instead of a protagonist. Good details also. Great response!
ReplyDelete